Autumn is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful times of year with its clear blue skies, colourful leaves and a cool crisp chill to the air. So why not celebrate the turn of the season with this Autumn Apple Salad. Apple’s are in abundance this time of year so experiment with the tastes the many varieties have to offer.
This quick and easy recipe makes for a great fresh lunch or an easy addition to your Autumn dinner meals.
- 2 cups red leaf lettuce, torn
- 2 cups spinach leaves, torn
- ½ cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons salted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- Tear the red leaf lettuce and spinach leaves. Rinse and dry.
- Add the walnuts to a small saute pan over medium heat and toast until fragrant, one to two minutes. Remove from heat.
- Thinly slice your fennel bulb.
- Thinly slice the apple. Squeeze the lemon juice over the apple slices and toss to coat.
- Add the olive oil, cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, mustard, honey, shallot, cinnamon, salt, and pepper to a jar. Shake until thoroughly combined.
- Add the lettuce, spinach, fennel, and apple slices to a large salad bowl. Toss to combine.
- Top with walnuts, pumpkin seeds, dried cherries, and golden raisins.
- Drizzle the dressing on top and serve.