Special occasions call for special meals and this delicious raw cashew nut cheesecake is one of those. Filled with the goodness of cashews, coconut oil, almonds, dates and Manuka Honey, it can be dressed up with cacao nibs or seasonal fruits such as strawberries, blueberries or blackcurrants.
This cheesecake is uncooked and can be made ahead. It is prepared in the food processor then frozen till firm and cut before being thawed on the bench for an hour before serving. It is wheat, gluten and dairy free and the recipe makes 8 generous pieces.
- Place almonds and dates in a food processor with sea salt and pulse to chop until they are to your desired fineness – process a finer crust longer than a coarse one
- Test the crust by spooning out a small amount of mixture and rolling it in your hands – if the ingredients hold together your crust is perfect
- Scoop crust mixture in to an 18cm spring-form pan and press firmly, making sure the edges are well packed and the base is relatively even throughout
- Rinse food processor well
- Warm coconut oil and honey in a small saucepan on low heat until liquid
- Whisk to combine
- In your food processor or blender, place all filling ingredients (except berries) and blend on high until very smooth
- Pour mixture on to the crust and freeze 1 to 2 hours, or until firm
- Remove from the freezer, slice while frozen, and transfer to serving platter
- Defrost in the fridge for 1 hour, or on the counter-top for 30 minutes
- Top with berries and serve
Recipe from BioBalance New Zealand